- a state in the central United States. 69,674 sq. mi. (180,455 sq. km). Capital: Jefferson City. Abbreviation: MO (for use with zip code), Mo.
- a river flowing from SW Montana into the Mississippi N of St. Louis, Mo. 2723 miles (4382 km) long.
- a member of a North American Indian tribe belonging to the Siouan linguistic stock, located on the Missouri River in early historic times and now extinct as a tribe.
- from Missouri, Informal. unwilling to accept something without proof; skeptical: I'm from Missouri—you'll have to show me that you're right.
- a state of the central US: consists of rolling prairies in the north, the Ozark Mountains in the south, and part of the Mississippi flood plain in the southeast, with the Mississippi forming the E border; chief US producer of lead and barytes. Capital: Jefferson City. Pop: 5 704 484 (2003 est). Area: 178 699 sq km (68 995 sq miles)Abbreviation: Mo, (with zip code) MO
- a river in the W and central US, rising in SW Montana: flows north, east, and southeast to join the Mississippi above St Louis; the longest river in North America; chief tributary of the Mississippi. Length: 3970 km (2466 miles)
originally a name for a group of native peoples among Chiwere (Siouan) tribes, from an Algonquian word recorded c.1700, literally "people of the big canoes." The expression I'm from Missouri, you'll have to show me is attested from at least c.1880. Related: Missourian.
see from Missouri.