- knowing only one language; monolingual: monoglot travelers.
- composed in only one language.
- a person with a knowledge of only one language.
Origin of monoglot
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having command of a single language
- written in, composed of, or containing a single language
- a person with command of a single language
Word Origin for monoglot
C20: from mono- + Greek glōtta tongue
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012