- a scarf worn around one's neck for warmth.
- any of various devices for deadening sound, as the sound of escaping gases of an internal-combustion engine.
- anything used for muffling sound.
- Armor. a mittenlike glove worn with a mail hauberk.
Origin of muffler
Examples from the Web for muffler
Historical Examples of muffler
He had a muffler round his neck, and was wearing a peasant's cloak of a dark colour.My Double Life
He also turned on a little more gasolene and opened the muffler.Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout
The dampness was affecting him, and he wrapped his muffler more closely about his neck.
To begin with he almost broke the pegs off in hanging up his hat and muffler.
He is quiet, with grizzled hair, and a muffler for a collar.The Silver Box (First Series Plays)
- a thick scarf, collar, etc
- US and Canadian any device designed to reduce noise, esp the tubular device containing baffle plates in the exhaust system of a motor vehicleAlso called (in Britain and certain other countries): silencer
- something that muffles
1530s as a kind of wrap for the throat, agent noun from muffle (v.); as an automobile exhaust system silencer, it is attested from 1895.