- of or relating to muscle or the muscles: muscular strain.
- dependent on or affected by the muscles: muscular strength.
- having well-developed muscles; brawny.
- vigorously and forcefully expressed, executed, performed, etc., as if by the use of a great deal of muscular power: a muscular response to terrorism.
- broad and energetic, especially with the implication that subtlety and grace are lacking: a muscular style.
- reflected in physical activity and work: a muscular religion.
- Informal. having or showing power; powerful: a muscular vehicle.
Origin of muscular
Synonyms for muscularSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for muscularityvigor, moxie, meat, power, flesh, beef, energy, punch, clout, bulk, sock, muscle, might, steam, kick, robustness, thew
Examples from the Web for muscularity
Historical Examples of muscularity
Of both his muscularity and good-nature I am afraid we often took advantage.
The muscularity, purchased by excessive nutriment, of the Bœotian pugilist.Plutarch's Lives, Volume IV
In the latter case, however, the Muscular should have either Thoracic or Alimentive tendencies combined with his muscularity.How to Analyze People on Sight
Elsie Lincoln Benedict and Ralph Paine Benedict
What a wonderful piece of muscularity and good-nature he was, to be sure, as I remember him!
He had no overplus of style about him, but he was reliable, he was sincere, his muscularity was conceded by all.The Army Mule and Other War Sketches
Henry A. Castle
- having well-developed muscles; brawny
- of, relating to, or consisting of muscle
Word Origin for muscular
1680s, "pertaining to muscles," from Latin musculus (see muscle (n.)) + -ar. Earlier in same sense was musculous (early 15c.). Meaning "having well-developed muscles" is from 1736. Muscular Christianity (1857) is originally in reference to philosophy of Anglican clergyman and novelist Charles Kingsley (1819-1875). Muscular dystrophy attested from 1886.
- The state or condition of having well-developed muscles.
- Of, relating to, or consisting of muscle.
- Having or characterized by well-developed muscles.