- to perplex (a person) by playing upon the person's credulity; bewilder purposely.
- to involve in mystery or obscurity.
Origin of mystify
SynonymsSee more synonyms for mystify on Thesaurus.com
1. fool, mislead, elude, puzzle.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for mystifyingly
- to confuse, bewilder, or puzzle
- to make mysterious or obscure
C19: from French mystifier, from mystère mystery 1 or mystique mystic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for mystifyingly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper