- a firm, durable, yellow or buff fabric, formerly made from a natural-colored Chinese cotton.
- a twilled material made from other cotton and dyed in imitation of this fabric.
- nankeens, garments made of this material.
- a yellow or buff color.
- Also called Nankeen porcelain, Nanking china, Nanking ware. a type of Chinese porcelain having blue ornament on a white ground.
Origin of nankeen
Examples from the Web for nankeen
Historical Examples of nankeen
We have a picture of him at the age of five, in a nankeen frock and a frill.Olive in Italy
The Nankeen coloured and the black are the greatest favourites.The Book of Sports:
Mr. Brandon wore a nankeen suit, and had a green veil in readiness.Johnny Ludlow, Fourth Series
Mrs. Henry Wood
Ribbons are worn either clouded or striped; the latter are nankeen.The Strand Magazine
In point of colour the black and nankeen varieties are the best.
- a hard-wearing buff-coloured cotton fabric
- a pale greyish-yellow colour
- (as adjective)a nankeen carpet
Word Origin for nankeen
kind of cotton cloth, 1755, from Nanking, China, where it originally was made.