- of, relating to, or maintained by a nation as an organized whole or independent political unit: national affairs.
- owned, preserved, or maintained by the federal government: a national wildlife refuge.
- peculiar or common to the whole people of a country: national customs.
- devoted to one's own nation, its interests, etc.; patriotic: to stir up national pride.
- concerning or encompassing an entire nation: a national radio network.
- limited to one nation.
- a citizen or subject of a particular nation who is entitled to its protection: U.S. nationals living abroad.
- Often nationals. a national competition, tournament, or the like: We're invited to Minneapolis for the nationals.
- a national company or organization.
Origin of national
Related Words for nationallynationwide, publicly, governmentally, politically, commonly, entirely, generally, universally
Examples from the Web for nationally
Contemporary Examples of nationally
Nationally, the number of Americans concerned that Ebola will shoot through the population is skyrocketing.Apocalypse Now: Preppers Are Gearing Up for Ebola
October 17, 2014
The Daily Beast found out with the help of nationally ranked competitive eater Eric ‘Badlands’ Booker.Video: We Took a Competitive Eater to TGI Fridays for Endless Appetizers—and They Ran Out
July 17, 2014
Nationally, Ashford University has received $110 million to educate Iraq and Afghanistan veterans in the last five years.
Nationally, the University of Phoenix received nearly $1 billion from the new GI Bill over the last five years.
Democrats nationally were already gloating about the results on Tuesday night.How Eric Cantor Sabotaged Himself
Ben Jacobs, Tim Mak
June 11, 2014
Historical Examples of nationally
Nationally, the Poles felt that from their point of view there was nothing to hope from it.Notes on Life and Letters
Personally and nationally there are no duplicates in the social scheme.Child and Country
Will Levington Comfort
Nationally for several generations we have enjoyed freedom; but let us beware.The Parables of Our Lord
The Bulgar wanted the Macedonian to be one with him nationally, as he is racially.The Iron Ration
George Abel Schreiner
Manufacturing and selling, nationally speaking, were up to the average.The Railroad Problem
- of, involving, or relating to a nation as a whole
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular nationthe national dress of Poland
- rare nationalistic or patriotic
- a citizen or subject
- a national newspaper
- the National short for the Grand National