Idioms about necessity
Origin of necessity
synonym study for necessity
OTHER WORDS FROM necessitynon·ne·ces·si·ty, noun, plural non·ne·ces·si·ties.su·per·ne·ces·si·ty, noun, plural su·per·ne·ces·si·ties.
How to use necessity in a sentence
At first, the doctors write, the villagers were “fearful and agitated,” lacking the basic necessities needed to survive.
“It was this idea of prayer, and one of the necessities of the prayer pose being the blindfold,” he explained.‘True Detective’s’ Godless Universe: Is the HBO Show Anti-Christian?|Andrew Romano|March 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“The government is stuck between [strategic] necessities and its social/political aims,” he said.
Each month, he receives ¥300 ($50) in welfare payments, an amount insufficient to cover the bare necessities.
At the margins, that means more people are able to pay for the necessities of life with their incomes.
He, who knows the dangers and necessities we were in, will appreciate the joy we felt and that we feel at its arrival.
Wasnt it wickedseeminglythat one should have so much money, while another needed the very necessities of life?The Girls of Central High on the Stage|Gertrude W. Morrison
Meanwhile, the judicious establishment of free soup kitchens in the streets alleviated the necessities of the mob.Napoleon's Marshals|R. P. Dunn-Pattison
Surely a third class passenger is entitled at least to the bare necessities of life.Third class in Indian railways|Mahatma Gandhi
Its folds are ample, to remind us that all who have recourse to her find a secure refuge in all dangers and necessities.Mary, Help of Christians|Various
British Dictionary definitions for necessity
- a condition, principle, or conclusion that cannot be otherwise
- the constraining force of physical determinants on all aspects of lifeCompare freedom (def. 8)
- the property of being necessary
- a statement asserting that some property is essential or statement is necessarily true
- the operator that indicates that the expression it modifies is true in all possible worldsUsual symbol: □, ∟
Other Idioms and Phrases with necessity
In addition to the idiom beginning with necessity
- necessity is the mother of invention
- make a virtue of necessity
- of necessity