noun, plural ne·ces·si·ties.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL PUNCTUATION!
Idioms for necessity
Origin of necessity
synonym study for necessity
OTHER WORDS FROM necessitynon·ne·ces·si·ty, noun, plural non·ne·ces·si·ties.su·per·ne·ces·si·ty, noun, plural su·per·ne·ces·si·ties.
Words nearby necessity
Example sentences from the Web for necessities
“It was this idea of prayer, and one of the necessities of the prayer pose being the blindfold,” he explained.‘True Detective’s’ Godless Universe: Is the HBO Show Anti-Christian?|Andrew Romano|March 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“The government is stuck between [strategic] necessities and its social/political aims,” he said.
At the margins, that means more people are able to pay for the necessities of life with their incomes.
I worry about the ability of the Zionist left to recognize these necessities and adapt to them.
As necessities grow scarce, the suffering will spread, from the poor to the middle class, and perhaps higher.
It was used not for necessities, but to maintain a foolish display.'Charge It'|Irving Bacheller
In what labours do not the necessities of rank and station involve a man who by disposition requires only ease and quiet!Lysbeth|H. Rider Haggard
By His grace, I rejoice in necessities, and in everything give thanks.
She kept it up until the scouts knew that every bottle and box in their duffel-bags must be powdered into other necessities.Girl Scouts in the Rockies|Lillian Elizabeth Roy
Rest happy about Poppy; her money has been returned to her, and Jasmine has sufficient for her present necessities.The Palace Beautiful|L. T. Meade
British Dictionary definitions for necessities
noun plural -ties
- a condition, principle, or conclusion that cannot be otherwise
- the constraining force of physical determinants on all aspects of lifeCompare freedom (def. 8)
- the property of being necessary
- a statement asserting that some property is essential or statement is necessarily true
- the operator that indicates that the expression it modifies is true in all possible worldsUsual symbol: □, ∟
Idioms and Phrases with necessities
In addition to the idiom beginning with necessity
- necessity is the mother of invention
- make a virtue of necessity
- of necessity