- involving or noting subtraction; minus.
- measured or proceeding in the direction opposite to that which is considered as positive.
- of, relating to, or characterized by negative electricity.
- indicating a point in a circuit that has a lower potential than that of another point, the current flowing from the point of higher potential to the point of lower potential.
- (of blood, affected tissue, etc.) failing to indicate the presence of a specified medical condition or substance.
- (of a diagnostic test) failing to indicate the presence of the medical condition or substance tested for:Test results for skin cancer were negative.
- (of a person) not having a specified medical condition, or not having a specified substance in the body (often used in combination):She tested negative for a staph infection.I'm Rh-negative.
- a minus sign.
- a negative quantity or symbol.
verb (used with object), neg·a·tived, neg·a·tiv·ing.
Origin of negative
Examples from the Web for negatively
One of the reasons the Vikings are viewed so negatively is that their violence could seem wanton or irrational.How the Vikings Saved Europe and Got a Terrible Reputation|William O’Connor|September 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
On the other hand, Muslims worldwide are likely, on the whole, to react negatively to the pronouncement.
Can you give specific examples of how this could negatively impact Americans?
The city council's decision to ban the public use of e-cigarettes is highly unlikely to negatively impact Henley.
The media sometimes try to portray them negatively, but the film shows that they are genuine.One Direction Documentary ‘This Is Us,’ Seen Through a Superfan’s Eyes|Erin Cunningham|August 29, 2013|DAILY BEAST
But do we love ourselves only negatively, or are we satisfied with doing ourselves no harm?
Those constituents are negatively correlated, and therefore the compound is unstable in heredity.Noteworthy Families (Modern Science)|Francis Galton and Edgar Schuster
Negatively I know love; for I do not require to be told what it is not, and I have my ideal.My Lady Nicotine|J. M. Barrie
The reader may ask: how can there be a positive flow when both plates are negatively electrified?Hawkins Electrical Guide, Number One|Nehemiah Hawkins
She was not negatively relieved that she was somebody; she rejoiced to find herself Lydia Emery.The Squirrel-Cage|Dorothy Canfield
British Dictionary definitions for negatively
- measured in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive
- having the same magnitude but opposite sense to an equivalent positive quantity
- (of an electric charge) having the same polarity as the charge of an electron
- (of a body, system, ion, etc) having a negative electric charge; having an excess of electrons
- (of a point in an electric circuit) having a lower electrical potential than some other point with an assigned zero potential