- doubtfulness or uncertainty of meaning or intention: to speak with ambiguity; an ambiguity of manner.
- an unclear, indefinite, or equivocal word, expression, meaning, etc.: a contract free of ambiguities; the ambiguities of modern poetry.
Origin of ambiguity
SynonymsSee more synonyms for ambiguity on Thesaurus.com
1. vagueness, deceptiveness. 2. equivocation.
1. explicitness, clarity.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the possibility of interpreting an expression in two or more distinct ways
- an instance of this, as in the sentence they are cooking apples
- vagueness or uncertainty of meaningthere are several ambiguities in the situation
Word Origin and History for non-ambiguity
c.1400, "uncertainty, doubt, indecision, hesitation," also from Medieval Latin ambiguitatem (nominative ambiguitas) "double meaning, equivocalness, double sense," noun of state from ambiguus (see ambiguous).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper