- a person guilty or convicted of a crime.
Origin of criminal
Synonyms for criminal
Antonyms for criminal
- a person charged with and convicted of crime
- a person who commits crimes for a living
- of, involving, or guilty of crime
- (prenominal) of or relating to crime or its punishmentcriminal court; criminal lawyer
- informal senseless or deplorablea criminal waste of money
Word Origin for criminal
early 15c., from Middle French criminel (11c.), from Latin criminalis "pertaining to crime," from crimen (genitive criminis); see crime. Preserves the Latin -n-. Criminal law (or criminal justice) distinguished from civil in English at least since late 15c.
1620s, from criminal (adj.).