- the one of a pair of alternative alleles that masks the effect of the other when both are present in the same cell or organism.
- the trait or character determined by such an allele.Compare recessive(defs 4, 5).
Origin of dominant
Synonyms for dominant
- (of an allele) producing the same phenotype in the organism irrespective of whether the allele of the same gene is identical or dissimilar
- (of a character) controlled by such a gene
- a dominant allele or character
- an organism having such an allele or character
- the fifth degree of a scale and the second in importance after the tonic
- a key or chord based on this
mid-15c., from Middle French dominant (13c.), from Latin dominantem (nominative dominans), present participle of dominari (see domination). Music sense is from 1819. Sexual bondage sense by c.1960. The noun is first recorded 1819, earliest in the musical sense.