- being the last in a series of infinitely decreasing or increasing values, amounts, etc.
- (of an item in a series of occurrences, planned events, things used, etc., that is thought of as being infinitely large) being the latest, or most recent: This is the nth time I've told you to eat slowly.
- the nth degree/power,
- a high degree or power.
- the utmost degree or extent: The new hotel was luxurious to the nth degree.
Origin of nth
First recorded in 1850–55; N (symbol, def. 5) + -th2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nth
Neither would my six brothers, nor any of our descendants to the nth generation.All Men are Ghosts
L. P. Jacks
Such rank superiority irritated the soldier to the nth power.Birthright
They represent understatement to the nth when applied to the front trenches.
Wilkerson is not a creator, he's just nature keyed up to the nth power.The Heart's Kingdom
Maria Thompson Daviess
Her mind was her mother's mind raised to the nth power, and enhanced by the genius she was trying to crush.Fanny Herself
- maths of or representing an unspecified ordinal number, usually the greatest in a series of valuesthe nth power
- informal being the last, most recent, or most extreme of a long seriesfor the nth time, eat your lunch!
- to the nth degree informal to the utmost extreme; as much as possible
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nth
1852, in phrase to the nth, figurative use of a mathematical term indicating indefinite number, in which n is an abbreviation for number (n.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with nth
see to the nth degree.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.