- pertaining to the number 8.
- consisting of eight.
- proceeding by eight.
- octal(def 1).
- a group of eight; an ogdoad.
- Also octal. Prosody. a stanza of eight lines.
- a number in an octonary system.
Origin of octonary
1525–35; < Latin octōnārius consisting of eight, equivalent to octōn(ī) eight each + -ārius -ary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for octonary
It is said that the ancient Saxons used the octonary system,220 but how, or for what purposes, is not stated.The Number Concept
Levi Leonard Conant
- relating to or based on the number eight
- prosody a stanza of eight lines
- a group of eight
C16: from Latin octōnārius, from octōnī eight at a time
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012