CAN YOU ACE THIS QUIZ ABOUT “COMPLIMENT” VS. “COMPLEMENT”?
OTHER WORDS FROM oiledun·oiled, adjective
Words nearby oiled
Definition for oiled (2 of 2)
verb (used with object)
Origin of oil
OTHER WORDS FROM oil
Example sentences from the Web for oiled
Top the scallops with another piece of oiled parchment, oiled side down.Daniel Boulud Reveals His 4 Favorite Recipes From His New Cookbook|Daniel Boulud|October 15, 2013|DAILY BEAST
This has complicated the quest for a stainless steel replacement; finishes like "oiled bronze" have already come and gone.
Cover with oiled cling wrap and set aside in a warm place for one hour to rise.
People are urged not to attempt to help injured or oiled animals, but to report any sightings via the toll-free number.
We have moved up like oiled lightning from —— to a rather famous place.Letters to Helen|Keith Henderson
Children will like it poured into oiled cup-cake tins or any other mold.Candy-Making Revolutionized|Mary Elizabeth Hall
The buildings were rough log cabins with the earth for floor and oiled paper for windows.American Leaders and Heroes|Wilbur Fisk Gordy
There was our adventure; and when we reached Cairo by train, the mystery of the oiled hand was still unsolved.It Happened in Egypt|C. N. Williamson
All the oiled or greased skins are dressed with the round knife.A Dictionary of Arts, Manufactures and Mines|Andrew Ure
British Dictionary definitions for oiled
- another name for petroleum
- (as modifier)an oil engine; an oil rig
- Also called: lubricating oil any of a number of substances usually derived from petroleum and used for lubrication
- (in combination)an oilcan; an oilstone
- (as modifier)an oil pump
- paraffin, esp when used as a domestic fuel
- (as modifier)an oil lamp; an oil stove
- (often plural) oil colour or paint
- (as modifier)an oil painting
- to discover petroleum while drilling for it
- informal to become very rich or successful
Derived forms of oiloil-like, adjective
Word Origin for oil
Medical definitions for oiled
Scientific definitions for oiled
Idioms and Phrases with oiled
see banana oil; burn the midnight oil; grease (oil) someone's palm; grease (oil) the wheels; pour oil on troubled waters; strike it rich (oil).