verb (used with object)
Words nearby oil
Idioms for oil
- to discover oil, especially to bring in a well.
- to have good luck, especially financially; make an important and valuable discovery: They struck oil only after years of market research.
Origin of oil
OTHER WORDS FROM oil
Examples from the Web for oil
The State Department found that with high oil prices, the tar sands would be mined for oil, pipeline or no.
On top of oil, the United States produces significantly more natural gas than Saudi Arabia.
The EPA felt that the State Department had not looked carefully enough at the impact of the pipeline if oil prices fell.
Officials also had received reports of loud bangs—called in by fishermen—and an oil slick.
Russia depends on oil exports for almost 70 percent of its foreign-currency earnings and almost 50 percent of its annual budget.
There should be a good opening for machinery for extracting the oil.Notes on Agriculture in Cyprus and Its Products|William Bevan
What remains of turpentine after the oil has been distilled.Cooley's Practical Receipts, Volume II|Arnold Cooley
You can—this heap has got the legs of a centipede and you've got plenty of gas and oil.Triplanetary|Edward Elmer Smith
He then treated the second bird in the same manner, and assisted his lady-love to consume it, as well as the remainder of the oil.The Giant of the North|R.M. Ballantyne
Be kind enough to add to the tunic, gilt sandals, and a vial of oil to anoint my beard and hair.Thais|Anatole France
British Dictionary definitions for oil
- another name for petroleum
- (as modifier)an oil engine; an oil rig
- Also called: lubricating oil any of a number of substances usually derived from petroleum and used for lubrication
- (in combination)an oilcan; an oilstone
- (as modifier)an oil pump
- paraffin, esp when used as a domestic fuel
- (as modifier)an oil lamp; an oil stove
- (often plural) oil colour or paint
- (as modifier)an oil painting
- to discover petroleum while drilling for it
- informal to become very rich or successful
Derived forms of oiloil-like, adjective
Word Origin for oil
Medicine definitions for oil
Science definitions for oil
Idioms and Phrases with oil
see banana oil; burn the midnight oil; grease (oil) someone's palm; grease (oil) the wheels; pour oil on troubled waters; strike it rich (oil).