- adhering to a policy of opportunism; practicing opportunism.
- (of a microorganism) causing disease only under certain conditions, as when a person's immune system is impaired.
- (of a disease or infection) caused by such an organism: Pneumocystis pneumonia is an opportunistic disease that often strikes victims of AIDS.
Origin of opportunistic
Examples from the Web for opportunistically
Contemporary Examples of opportunistically
We now have more capital than we anticipated, [which will] allow us to opportunistically build what we have not been able to do.A $125 Billion (Taxpayer) Gamble
William D. Cohan
October 20, 2008
Historical Examples of opportunistically
We must go at it seriously and scientifically and solidly, not superficially, casually, and opportunistically.
- of or characterized by opportunism
- med (of an infection) caused by any microorganism that is harmless to a healthy person but debilitates a person whose immune system has been weakened by disease or drug treatment
- Of or relating to an organism capable of causing disease only in a host whose resistance is lowered.
- Of or relating to a disease caused by an opportunistic organism.