- situated on or toward the outside; external; exterior: outer garments; an outer wall.
- situated farther out or farther from the center: the outer reaches of space.
- of or relating to the external world.
Origin of outer
Related Words for outerexterior, outlying, alien, beyond, extraneous, extrinsic, outermost, outside, outward, over, peripheral, remote, superficial, surface, without, outmost, exoteric
Examples from the Web for outer
Contemporary Examples of outer
The twins themselves, played beautifully by Erin Davie and Emily Padgett, are our inner voice and outer voice, says Condon.Can Condon's Freak Show Win Broadway?
November 18, 2014
Indeed there is a pre-Hispanic ceremonial site located a scant 400 meters from the outer edge of the Otomí Lake & Villas property.Trading Dime Bags for Salvador Dali
October 19, 2014
An agent on the outer perimeter radios in that the motorcade is in sight.Behind the Scenes With a ‘Site Agent’: The Secret Service’s Hardest Job
October 2, 2014
Finding good wifi in the Outer Hebrides is about as common as finding someone between the ages of 18 and 30.Scotland’s ‘Yes’ Campaign and the Myth of Scottish Equality
September 18, 2014
The play, which won several Tony Awards when it first premiered in 1979, deals with human dignity and inner and outer beauty.Fall Broadway Preview: 'This Is Our Youth,' Bradley Cooper as ‘The Elephant Man,' and More
September 11, 2014
Historical Examples of outer
They were putting on outer clothes from the store-room to protect them from the dirt and damp.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
The fiend prevailed; and Prudence vanished into the outer darkness.John Inglefield's Thanksgiving
In two days he found one egg on the outer skin of the grape.
The outer gate was shut, and all the blinds on the front of the house were closed.The Underdog
F. Hopkinson Smith
The ship had a good run from off Mahon to Leghorn where we anchored in the outer roads.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
- being or located on the outside; external
- further from the middle or central part
- the white outermost ring on a target
- a shot that hits this ring
- Australian the unsheltered part of the spectator area at a sports ground
- on the outer Australian and NZ informal excluded or neglected