- the view or prospect from a particular place.
- mental attitude or view; point of view: one's outlook on life.
- prospect of the future: the political outlook.
- the place from which an observer looks out; lookout.
- the act or state of looking out.
- a watch kept; vigilance; lookout: a careful outlook to prevent forest fires.
Origin of outlook
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for outlook
And surprisingly, gender may also play a role in your bleak winter outlook.9 Ways to Cope With Seasonal Affective Disorder
December 5, 2014
His outlook on life is totally different and so is the way he feels valued.Hiring People With Disabilities Isn’t Just the Right Thing to Do—It’s Good for Business
October 27, 2014
His outlook turns bleak and his behavior erratic as he confronts the reality of his health.This Week’s Hot Reads: January 8, 2014
January 8, 2014
More significantly, the outlook of young people has changed dramatically.Chris Christie Is No George W. Bush, and 2016 Is Definitely Not 2000
November 7, 2013
Secondly there is the fact that the intellectuals are more totalitarian in outlook than the common people.George Orwell’s Letter on Why He Wrote ‘1984’
August 12, 2013
Do the Outlook and the Commoner imply progress since the Stagirite?'Tis Sixty Years Since
Charles Francis Adams
When they stopped at the door no one was on the outlook for them.Weighed and Wanting
But here we are upon the hill-top, with as fair an outlook as man could wish to have.'Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
Our decision here will affect our outlook on the entire relation of the sexes.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
Life seemed a melancholy thing: how gloomy, how helpless her outlook!A Nest of Spies
- a mental attitude or point of view
- the probable or expected condition or outcome of somethingthe weather outlook
- the view from a place
- view or prospect
- the act or state of looking out
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for outlook
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper