- to spread out; extend: an eagle outspreading its wings.
- spread out; stretched out: outspread arms.
- diffused abroad; widely disseminated: The outspread news had traveled quickly.
- the act of spreading out; expansion: the rapid outspread of the early American colonists.
- something that is spread out; an expanse: a vast outspread of rich farmland.
Origin of outspread
Related Words for outspreadfull, ample, broad, loose, deep, far-reaching, large, immense, spacious, extensive, vast, expanded, expansive, generous, spread, unravel, unfurl, bolster, widen, broaden
Examples from the Web for outspread
Historical Examples of outspread
Happy the man who sees from either aspect the glory of these outspread wings.Howards End
E. M. Forster
He rose with outspread arms and the tears on his face and his voice broke.Despair's Last Journey
David Christie Murray
At Passy we were received with shrugging shoulders and outspread hands.Dross
Henry Seton Merriman
With outspread wings he flew in large circles over Heidi's head.Heidi
Jessop, with staring eyes and outspread hands, backed to the wall.The Opal Serpent
- to spread out or cause to spread out
- spread or stretched out
- scattered or diffused widely
- a spreading out