- marked by prices considered unjustifiably high because of extensive buying: The stock market is overbought now.Compare oversold.
- simple past tense and past participle of overbuy.
Origin of overbought
- to purchase in excessive quantities.
- Finance. to buy on margin in excess of one's ability to provide added security in an emergency, as in a falling market.
- to buy regardless of one's needs or financial means.
Origin of overbuy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018