- a republic in S Central America. 28,575 sq. mi. (74,010 sq. km).
- Also called Panama City. a city in and the capital of Panama, at the Pacific end of the Panama Canal.
- Isthmus of. Formerly Isthmus of Darien. an isthmus between North and South America.
- Gulf of, the portion of the Pacific in the bend of the Isthmus of Panama.
- (sometimes lowercase) Panama hat.
Related Words for panamahelmet, fedora, headgear, lid, straw, bucket, bonnet, sailor, skimmer, millinery, Stetson, Panama, chapeau, bowler, boater, sombrero, topper, tam, headpiece
Examples from the Web for panama
Contemporary Examples of panama
The refugees come from Panama, Paraguay, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, and Puerto Rico.The 2014 Novel of the Year
December 29, 2014
The next time all the presidents from North and South America meet will be at the Summit of the Americas in Panama in April.Venezuela Says Goodbye to Its Lil Friend, While the Rest of the Continent Cheers
December 20, 2014
The narrowest piece of land was at Panama, but it was covered in dense, mountainous jungle.China’s Nicaragua Canal Could Spark a New Central America Revolution
November 30, 2014
Lynchburg is a six-month-old German sausage and ale house in the heart of Panama's San Francisco neighborhood.
In fact, beer prices in Panama are about 36 percent lower than anywhere else in Latin America.
Historical Examples of panama
Mr. Jenkins, the grocer, rented a cutaway, and bought a new Panama to wear with it.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
I returned stoutly; for I had, of course, sunk the Isthmus of Panama beneath the sea.Green Mansions
W. H. Hudson
This stronghold Morgan must have if he ever hoped to win Panama.Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates
Then he took a handkerchief from his pocket, removed his panama and mopped his forehead.The Law-Breakers
From there he went to the eastern border of Panama with a party of gold seekers.Introductory American History
Henry Eldridge Bourne
- a republic in Central America, occupying the Isthmus of Panama: gained independence from Spain in 1821 and joined Greater Colombia; became independent in 1903, with the immediate area around the canal forming the Canal Zone under US jurisdiction; Panama assumed sovereignty over the Canal Zone in 1979 and full control in 1999. Official language: Spanish; English is also widely spoken. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: balboa. Capital: Panama City. Pop: 3 559 408 (2013 est). Area: 75 650 sq km (29 201 sq miles)
- Isthmus of Panama an isthmus linking North and South America, between the Pacific and the Caribbean. Length: 676 km (420 miles). Width (at its narrowest point): 50 km (31 miles)Former name: Darien, Isthmus of Darien
- Gulf of Panama a wide inlet of the Pacific in Panama
probably from an unknown Guarani word, traditionally said to mean "place of many fish." Originally the name of the settlement founded 1519 (destroyed 1671 but subsequently rebuilt). Panama hat, made from the leaves of the screw pine, attested from 1833, a misnomer, because it originally was made in Ecuador, but perhaps so called in American English because it was distributed north from Panama City. Panama red as a variety of Central American marijuana is attested from 1967.