- of, relating to, or composed of distinct particles.
- a separate and distinct particle.
- a material composed of such particles.
- the aggregate of such particles, especially as produced by one source: tests to analyze diesel particulates.
- Meteorology.solid or liquid particles suspended in the atmosphere, especially pollutants.
Origin of particulate
Related Words for particulategritty, homespun, crude, grainy, harsh, granular, impure, inferior, loose, lumpy, mediocre, rough, rugged, unfinished, unpolished, unprocessed, chapped, coarse-grained, particulate, rough-hewn
Examples from the Web for particulate
Contemporary Examples of particulate
Burning charcoal generates hydrocarbons, particulate air pollution, wildfires, and carbon footprints.P.J. O'Rourke: 27 Sensitive, Caring, Green, and Politically Committed Reasons to Ban July 4th
P. J. O’Rourke
July 3, 2014
Historical Examples of particulate
The result is a case of particulate inheritance—the single comb being inherited anteriorly and the oo comb posteriorly.Inheritance of Characteristics in Domestic Fowl
Charles Benedict Davenport
Neither the particulate nor the chemical theories help us here.Science and Morals and Other Essays
Bertram Coghill Alan Windle
These results of experiments are commonly understood to prove the particulate character of the agents so studied.
- a substance consisting of separate particles
- of or made up of separate particles
- genetics of, relating to, or designating inheritance of characteristics, esp with emphasis on the role of genes
1871, from Modern Latin particulatus, from particula (see particle). As a noun from 1960. Related: Particulates.
- Of or occurring in the form of fine particles.
- A particulate substance.
- Formed of very small, separate particles. Dust and soot are forms of particulate matter.
- A very small particle, as of dust or soot. Particulates that are given off by the burning of oil, gasoline, and other fuels can remain suspended in the atmosphere for long periods, where they are a major component of air pollution and smog.
- A substance or suspension composed of such particles, such as sand or smoke.