- a flavored or medicated lozenge; troche.
- a roll or cone of paste containing aromatic substances, burned as a disinfectant or deodorant.
- pastel for crayons.
- a crayon made of pastel.
Origin of pastille
Examples from the Web for pastil
Historical Examples of pastil
Her ladyship rose, and taking a stick of Eastern pastil from a majolica dish in a corner made Nino light it from a wax taper.A Roman Singer
F. Marion Crawford
After well beating in a mortar, the pastils are formed in shape with a pastil mould, and gradually dried.The Art of Perfumery
G. W. Septimus Piesse
- a small flavoured or medicated lozenge for chewing
- an aromatic substance burnt to fumigate the air
- med a small coated paper disc formerly used to estimate the dose or intensity of radiation (esp of X-rays): it changes colour when exposed
- a variant of pastel (def. 1)
Word Origin for pastille
- A small medicated or flavored tablet; a troche.
- A tablet containing aromatic substances that is burned to fumigate or deodorize the air.