See more synonyms for patchy on Thesaurus.com adjective, patch·i·er, patch·i·est.Related formspatch·i·ly, adverbpatch·i·ness, noun
- characterized by or made up of patches.
- occurring in, forming, or like patches.
- of inconsistent or irregular quality, texture, etc.; not uniform: patchy acting; patchy areas of fog.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for patchiness
It lost its patchiness and settled to a pleasant, warming drift.
British Dictionary definitions for patchiness
adjective patchier or patchiestDerived Formspatchily, adverbpatchiness, noun
- irregular in quality, occurrence, intensity, etca patchy essay
- having or forming patches
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for patchiness
1798, from patch (n.1) + -y (2).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper