- a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each.
- the sum total of these amounts.
- the actual money on hand for distribution: The bandits got away with the payroll.
- the total number of people employed by a business firm or organization.
- to fund or subsidize: to be payrolled by the State Department.
Origin of payroll
Related Words for payrollwage, fee, pay, stipend, earnings, income, payroll, loan, rate, insurance, sum, investment, charge, risk, price, liability, expenditure, obligation, debt, tariff
Examples from the Web for payroll
Contemporary Examples of payroll
Begich has courageously talked of eliminating the payroll tax cap of around $115,000.Hooray for Liberal Fear-Mongering!
October 28, 2014
“There is always at least one ISIS person on the payroll; they force people on us,” says an aid coordinator.U.S. Humanitarian Aid Going to ISIS
October 20, 2014
The temporary reduction of Social Security payroll taxes was allowed to expire in early 2013.The Battle of the Deficit Bulge Has Been Won
October 6, 2014
Even with several judges on her payroll, Mandelbaum was not able to squirm out of the charges.Meet 'The Queen of Thieves' Marm Mandelbaum, New York City's First Mob Boss
J. North Conway
September 7, 2014
Also around this time, Hollywood began to put the pioneering filmmakers of New Queer Cinema on their payroll.Hollywood’s Evolving Heart: How Movies Grew to Love Gays
May 28, 2014
Historical Examples of payroll
I ain't on your payroll and so I can speak out free and independent.Shavings
Joseph C. Lincoln
This will save you $4.00 on that particular part of your payroll.Dollars and Sense
Col. Wm. C. Hunter
And not a man or a woman was docked or dropped from the payroll.
Khouzhik promptly placed all of them on the payroll of his Management.A Slave is a Slave
Henry Beam Piper
Little things like bein' on the payroll or not wa'n't botherin' him then.Torchy
- a list of employees, specifying the salary or wage of each
- the total of these amounts or the actual money equivalent
- (as modifier)a payroll tax