- the border or outer boundary of a two-dimensional figure.
- the length of such a boundary.
- a line bounding or marking off an area.
- the outermost limits.
- Military. a fortified boundary that protects a troop position.
- Ophthalmology. an instrument for determining the peripheral field of vision.
Origin of perimeter
Related Words for perimeterboundary, edge, periphery, confines, fringe, ambit, brim, borderline, skirt, circuit, limit, verge, compass, hem, margin, brink, outline
Examples from the Web for perimeter
Contemporary Examples of perimeter
Outside the lodge, running along its perimeter, was a small ditch lined by posts topped by a chest-high wooden beam.Spirit Tripping With Colombian Shamans
August 24, 2014
SWAT teams moved in and tear gas canisters were heard from the perimeter of what had essentially become a militarized zone.'What You Gonna Do, Kill Us All?' Protesters Ask Ferguson Police
August 12, 2014
On Wednesday night, as the main stage acts raged, Capt. Chris Slayman cruised the perimeter of the Gathering.A Report From the Misunderstood Gathering of the Juggalos
July 28, 2014
When the Stalwart vanguard reached the perimeter, their ranks broke in confusion.The GOP’s Last Identity Crisis Remade U.S. Politics
July 24, 2014
A couple more peer through spy holes in the sandbag barricades that line the perimeter.Ukraine’s Pro-Putin Rebels Prepare for a Last Stand
July 10, 2014
Historical Examples of perimeter
There were guards surrounding the perimeter with radar search beams.A Spaceship Named McGuire
Gordon Randall Garrett
Also, the lowest part of the perimeter of a geometrical figure.The Sailor's Word-Book
William Henry Smyth
The Radius is a right line drawne from the center to the perimeter.
But that multiplication, is a multiplication of the Perpendicular by the Perimeter or bout-line.
The perimeter of a figure is the outer boundary or measure around it.Orthography
Elmer W. Cavins
- the curve or line enclosing a plane area
- the length of this curve or line
- any boundary around something, such as a field
- (as modifier)a perimeter fence; a perimeter patrol
- a medical instrument for measuring the limits of the field of vision
Word Origin for perimeter
- The outer limits of an area; circumference.
- An instrument used to measure field of vision.
- The sum of the lengths of the segments that form the sides of a polygon.
- The total length of any closed curve, such as the circumference of a circle.