- pertaining to, situated in, or constituting the periphery: peripheral resistance on the outskirts of the battle area.
- concerned with relatively minor, irrelevant, or superficial aspects of the subject in question.
- Anatomy. near the surface or outside of; external.
- Computers. of or relating to a peripheral.
- Computers. a device or unit that operates separately from the CPU but is connected to it, as a magnetic disk or tape unit or a printer.
Origin of peripheral
Examples from the Web for peripherally
Contemporary Examples of peripherally
The film does appear to peripherally involve corrupt politicians.A Political History of the ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’
August 6, 2014
The News From Spain By Joan Wickersham Seven heart-rending love stories only peripherally about Spain.This Week’s Hot Reads, Sept. 24, 2012: David Denby, Alex Witchel & More
September 24, 2012
During the weeks of debate, the White House stayed only peripherally involved.Government Shutdown Averted
September 27, 2011
Historical Examples of peripherally
Bell Vireos invariably place their nests in the outer portions of trees and peripherally in thickets.
Sensations are said to be 'peripherally initiated', while emotions are centrally initiated.The New Gresham Encyclopedia
The majority of black Coast Guardsmen were only peripherally concerned with this wartime evolution of racial policy.Integration of the Armed Forces, 1940-1965
Morris J. MacGregor, Jr.
Such material is, however, only peripherally related to the study of language.Diego Collado's Grammar of the Japanese Language
- not relating to the most important part of something; incidental, minor, or superficial
- of, relating to, or of the nature of a periphery
- anatomy of, relating to, or situated near the surface of the bodya peripheral nerve
- Related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary or periphery.
- Perceived or perceiving near the outer edges of the retina.
- Of or relating to the surface or outer part of a body or organ; external.
- Of, relating to, or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Anatomy Relating to or being the surface or outer part of a body or organ.
- Relating to or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Computer Science An auxiliary device, such as a printer or modem, distinct from a computer's central processing unit and working memory, and often connected externally.
Any part that is separate from a computer's CPU, such as a printer, a keyboard, or a monitor.