- an Epistle written by Paul. Abbreviation: Phil.
- a person who was probably a convert of Paul and to whom this Epistle is addressed.
Examples from the Web for philemon
Historical Examples of philemon
This staff, in fact, was the oddest-looking staff that Philemon had ever beheld.
By this time, Philemon and his two guests had reached the cottage-door.
But Philemon I knew would feel its power, and so I made that appeal to him.
Was it not then of my responsibility to send him again to Philemon?
Tired and hungry, they neared the cottage where Philemon and Baucis lived.Classic Myths
Mary Catherine Judd
- a Christian of Colossae whose escaped slave came to meet Paul
- the book (in full The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to Philemon), asking Philemon to forgive the slave for escaping
- Greek myth a poor Phrygian, who with his wife Baucis offered hospitality to the disguised Zeus and Hermes
masc. proper name, in Greek mythology a pious man, husband of Baucis; from Greek philemon, literally "loving, affectionate," from philein "to love" (see philo-).