- a plate with a relief printing surface produced by photography.
- any process for making such a plate.
- a print made from it.
Origin of phototype
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for phototype
What the same eminent scholar gives us now is a reproduction in phototype of "L'Exemplaire."Pot-Boilers
The plates are phototype reproductions from photographs of Patroclus, taken in action by Baldwin Coolidge.
To preserve anatomical accuracy, the finer results of both photography and of the phototype process have had to be sacrificed.
Phototype, a block with impressions produced by photography from which engravings, &c., can be printed.The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Edited by Rev. James Wood
A phototype and a chromo-phototype, issued by the New Shakspere Society, are the best reproductions for the purposes of study.A Life of William Shakespeare
- a printing plate produced by photography
- a print produced from such a plate
- (tr) to reproduce (an illustration) using a phototype