- Botany. one of the primary divisions of a pinnate leaf.
- a feather, wing, or winglike part.
- a fin or flipper.
- Anatomy. auricle(def 1a).
Origin of pinna
1660–70; < Latin: feather, wing, fin
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any leaflet of a pinnate compound leaf
- zoology a feather, wing, fin, or similarly shaped part
- another name for auricle (def. 2)
Word Origin for pinna
C18: via New Latin from Latin: wing, feather, fin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A leaflet or primary division of a pinnately compound leaf, especially of a fern frond.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.