- Botany. one of the primary divisions of a pinnate leaf.
- a feather, wing, or winglike part.
- a fin or flipper.
- Anatomy. auricle(def 1a).
Origin of pinna
Related Words for pinnabrochure, pamphlet, flier, handout, handbill, plume, fringe, hand, vane, appendage, pinna, stabilizer, flipper, airfoil, circular, tract, shaft, fluff, crest, down
Examples from the Web for pinna
Historical Examples of pinna
Pinna bullata, Swainson (Fig. 168), is also a well-known species.The Ocean World:
Gloves have been made from the byssal fibers of Pinna mixed with silk.The Sea-beach at Ebb-tide
Augusta Foote Arnold
They are found in an oyster which is something like the pinna, only less.
Pinna, a primary division with its leaflets of a bipinnate or tripinnate leaf.The Elements of Botany
It is covered by the auricular muscles, and by the base of the pinna of the ear.Artistic Anatomy of Animals
- any leaflet of a pinnate compound leaf
- zoology a feather, wing, fin, or similarly shaped part
- another name for auricle (def. 2)
Word Origin for pinna
- A leaflet or primary division of a pinnately compound leaf, especially of a fern frond.