- a combining form meaning “side,” “rib,” “lateral,” “pleura,” used in the formation of compound words: pleuropneumonia.
Also especially before a vowel, pleur-.
Origin of pleuro-
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
before a vowel pleur-
- of or relating to the sidepleurodont; pleurodynia
- indicating the pleurapleurotomy
from Greek pleura side
Word Origin and History for pleuro-
before vowels pleur-, word-forming element meaning "pertaining to the side; pertaining to the pleura," from comb. form of Greek pleura (see pleura).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Side; lateral:pleurocentrum.
- Pleura; pleural:pleurotomy.