- a small orebody or mass of ore, frequently isolated.
- a bin for ore or rock storage.
- a raise or small slope fitted with chute gates.
verb (used with object)
- having suffered a financial loss; poorer: He had made unwise land purchases, and found himself several thousand dollars out of pocket.
- lacking money.
- Informal. not available; unreachable: I'll be out of pocket all afternoon.
Origin of pocket
Related formspock·et·less, adjectivepock·et·like, adjectiveun·pock·et, verb (used with object)
Examples from the Web for pocket
I was already over forty, had hardly a nickel in my pocket and this was the biggest break in my life.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
This leaves thousands of women at companies across the United States left to pay out of pocket for their birth control.
And then I reach into my pocket and plug in another quarter.
Above the notes of praise is a small photo of Guerin wearing a polka dot tie and pocket square, staring at you like a sociopath.
How far will that $1 in your pocket take you in Canada, Australia, or Hong Kong?
The man drew a large leather purse from the pocket of his blouse, and answered, "I have money."Les Misrables|Victor Hugo
He took one hand out of his pocket and pointed woodenly to the right.A College Girl|Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey
Her father released her, took out his pocket handkerchief, and sat down on the stairs with his head against the wall.Bleak House|Charles Dickens
Shure, they were bad enough to say he was puttin' the money in his own pocket, and dem goin' to their juty every month.My New Curate|P.A. Sheehan
But Peggy was by this time in the midst of her researches for her pocket, so she did not argue the point.Little Miss Peggy|Mrs. Molesworth
British Dictionary definitions for pocket
- a cavity or hollow in the earth, etc, such as one containing gold or other ore
- the ore in such a place
verb -ets, -eting or -eted (tr)
Derived Formspocketable, adjectivepocketless, adjective
Word Origin for pocket
Medicine definitions for pocket
Idioms and Phrases with pocket
In addition to the idioms beginning with pocket
- pocket money
- pocket veto
- deep pockets
- in one's pocket
- in pocket
- line one's pockets
- money burns a hole in one's pocket
- out of pocket