- the act or process of forming a polymer or polymeric compound.
- the combination of many like or unlike molecules to form a more complex product of higher molecular weight, with elimination of water, alcohol, or the like (condensation polymerization), or without such elimination (addition polymerization).
- the conversion of one compound into another by such a process.
Origin of polymerization
Examples from the Web for polymerization
Historical Examples of polymerization
Possibly the different forms of matter may be due to a single cause--polymerization.
On a hunch I dropped in an aluminum alkyl, and then pushed the polymerization along with both ultraviolet and heat.The Professional Approach
Charles Leonard Harness
Oxidation, dehydration and polymerization have all been suggested, but there is little direct evidence.Animal Proteins
Hugh Garner Bennett
Similar considerations as to the formation and breaking up of the molecules in anabolism and catabolism apply to polymerization.The Mechanism of Life
- the act or process of forming a polymer or copolymer, esp a chemical reaction in which a polymer is formed
- The bonding of two or more monomers to form a polymer.
- A chemical process that effects this bonding.