- constructive and sure, rather than skeptical.
- concerned with or based on matters of experience: positive philosophy.
- of, relating to, or characterized by positive electricity.
- indicating a point in a circuit that has a higher potential than that of another point, the current flowing from the point of higher potential to the point of lower potential.
- (of blood, affected tissue, etc.) indicating the presence of a specified medical condition or substance:Her urine was positive for opiates.
- (of a diagnostic test) indicating the presence of the medical condition or substance tested for:a positive test for tuberculosis.
- (of a person) diagnosed as having a specified medical condition, or having a specified substance in the body (often used in combination):He's HIV positive.She tested positive for lupus.
- the positive degree.
- a form in the positive, as good or smooth.
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of positive
SYNONYMS FOR positive
synonym study for positive
OTHER WORDS FROM positive
Words nearby positive
Example sentences from the Web for positive
Police departments are “flinging out interventions and having no clue about the effects, positive or negative.”There’s little evidence showing which police reforms work|Sujata Gupta|July 9, 2020|Science News
We’ve looked at the effect of transfer payments, and that, too, has a substantial positive effect on consumption.
If any of those people test positive, they isolate themselves, and then their recent contacts are tested.America Is Testing For COVID-19 More Than Ever — And It Still Isn’t Enough|Kaleigh Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org)|July 8, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
After you hit send, it’s only a matter of waiting for a prompt and hopefully positive reply.Six tips for writing emails that aren’t absolute garbage|Harry Guinness|July 8, 2020|Popular Science
It maybe painful at times for some people but it’s a positive and necessary process to go through for us to take a rightful place alongside all these other businesses who went through it a few years ago.
British Dictionary definitions for positive
- constructive rather than sceptical
- (of a concept) denoting the presence rather than the absence of some property
- having a value greater than zeroa positive number
- designating, consisting of, or graduated in one or more quantities greater than zeropositive direction
- measured in a direction opposite to that regarded as negative
- having the same magnitude as but opposite sense to an equivalent negative quantity
- (of an electric charge) having an opposite polarity to the charge of an electron and the same polarity as the charge of a proton
- (of a body, system, ion, etc) having a positive electric charge; having a deficiency of electronsa positive ion
- (of a point in an electric circuit) having a higher electric potential than some other point with an assigned zero potential