- constructive and sure, rather than skeptical.
- concerned with or based on matters of experience: positive philosophy.
- of, relating to, or characterized by positive electricity.
- indicating a point in a circuit that has a higher potential than that of another point, the current flowing from the point of higher potential to the point of lower potential.
- (of blood, affected tissue, etc.) indicating the presence of a specified medical condition or substance:Her urine was positive for opiates.
- (of a diagnostic test) indicating the presence of the medical condition or substance tested for:a positive test for tuberculosis.
- (of a person) diagnosed as having a specified medical condition, or having a specified substance in the body (often used in combination):He's HIV positive.She tested positive for lupus.
- the positive degree.
- a form in the positive, as good or smooth.
Origin of positive
SYNONYMS FOR positive
Examples from the Web for positive
There was a lot of positive feedback from people interested in non-gender binary people.
And the fact that satire unnerves the intolerant is evidence of its positive power.Why We Stand With Charlie Hebdo—And You Should Too|John Avlon|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
And more than that—the world is ending because of the changes that many of us see as positive.
These (roughly) $2,500 ceremonies are supposedly about encouraging “positive feelings” on the part of the single brides.Why Singles Should Say ‘I Don’t’ to The Self-Marriage Movement|Tim Teeman|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
As the sun set on Monday and the search was called off for the day, there had been no positive update on the possible wreckage.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370|Lennox Samuels|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In the predial, peaceful routine of their days there is a positive similarity.Sergeant York And His People|Sam Cowan
From the facts of modern leisure the positive character reacts toward novel activity.The Women of Tomorrow|William Hard
He has been accused of a positive gusto for knives and bayonets, for redly dripping steel and spattered flesh.Rudyard Kipling|John Palmer
For Agnes was positive that Barnabetta was guiltless of the final disappearance of the treasure trove.The Corner House Girls' Odd Find|Grace Brooks Hill
Rise of temperature, within limits, enhances the excitability, and therefore the positive curvature under light.Life Movements in Plants, Volume II, 1919|Sir Jagadis Chunder Bose
British Dictionary definitions for positive
- constructive rather than sceptical
- (of a concept) denoting the presence rather than the absence of some property
- having a value greater than zeroa positive number
- designating, consisting of, or graduated in one or more quantities greater than zeropositive direction
- measured in a direction opposite to that regarded as negative
- having the same magnitude as but opposite sense to an equivalent negative quantity
- (of an electric charge) having an opposite polarity to the charge of an electron and the same polarity as the charge of a proton
- (of a body, system, ion, etc) having a positive electric charge; having a deficiency of electronsa positive ion
- (of a point in an electric circuit) having a higher electric potential than some other point with an assigned zero potential