See more synonyms for surgical on Thesaurus.com Related formssur·gi·cal·ly, adverbnon·sur·gi·cal, adjectivenon·sur·gi·cal·ly, adverbpost·sur·gi·cal, adjectivepre·sur·gi·cal, adjectivepro·sur·gi·cal, adjectiveun·sur·gi·cal, adjectiveun·sur·gi·cal·ly, adverb
- pertaining to or involving surgery or surgeons.
- used in surgery.
- characterized by extreme precision or incisiveness: a surgical air strike against enemy targets.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for postsurgical
Derived Formssurgically, adverb
- of, relating to, involving, or used in surgery
- (of an action) performed with extreme precisiona surgical air attack on the missile complex
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for postsurgical
1770, alteration of chirurgical; see surgery + -ical. Related: Surgically.
surgical strike: There is no such thing. Don't use unless in a quote, then question what that means. [Isaac Cubillos, "Military Reporters Stylebook and Reference Guide," 2010]
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of surgeons or surgery.
- Used in surgery.
- Resulting from or occurring after surgery.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.