- powerful; mighty: a potent fighting force.
- cogent; persuasive: Several potent arguments were in his favor.
- producing powerful physical or chemical effects: a potent drug.
- having or exercising great power or influence: a potent factor in the economy.
- (of a male) capable of sexual intercourse.
Origin of potent1
Examples from the Web for potently
And, as this episode so potently illustrates, our misogynistic media culture is partly to blame.Louis C.K. Apologizes to the ‘Fat Girls’
May 13, 2014
The nemesis that emerges most potently is that of reality TV.Polar Explorer vs. Reality TV Crew: Tim Jarvis in the Footsteps of Shackleton
January 12, 2014
Most potently it has been effected by the characters of the preachers and teachers of religion.Hindu Gods And Heroes
Lionel D. Barnett
She drew as potently, and to all appearances as impassively, as a loadstone.Bonaventure
George Washington Cable
And, above all, he has preached the gospel of work, and as potently as Carlyle ever preached.Revolution and Other Essays
For all know by experience how potently the senses move the thoughts.A Christian Directory (Volume 1 of 4)
The magic of her husband's wealth began to make itself most potently felt.Money Magic
- possessing great strength; powerful
- (of arguments, etc) persuasive or forceful
- influential or authoritative
- tending to produce violent physical or chemical effectsa potent poison
- (of a male) capable of having sexual intercourse
- heraldry (of a cross) having flat bars across the ends of the arms
Word Origin and History for potently
early 15c., from Latin potentem (nominative potens) "powerful," present participle of *potere "be powerful," from potis "powerful, able, capable; possible;" of persons, "better, preferable; chief, principal; strongest, foremost," from PIE root *poti- "powerful, lord" (cf. Sanskrit patih "master, husband," Greek posis, Lithuanian patis "husband"). Meaning "having sexual power" is first recorded 1899.
- Exerting or capable of exerting strong physiological or chemical effects.
- Able to perform sexual intercourse. Used of a male.