- a shot fired at game merely for food, with little regard to skill or the rules of sport.
- a shot at an animal or person within easy range, as from ambush.
- a casual or aimless shot.
- a random or incidental criticism: to take a potshot at military spending in a speech on taxation.
- to fire or aim potshots: critics potshotting at the administration.
Origin of potshot
Related Words for potshotobloquy, animadversion, aspersion, slur, stricture, swipe, slap, jab, potshot
Examples from the Web for potshot
Contemporary Examples of potshot
Palin takes a potshot back in the book, mentioning Schmidt's "rotund physique."Top 15 Palin Book Leaks
The Daily Beast
November 14, 2009
Historical Examples of potshot
I remember very distinctly saying, "Did you take the potshot at General Walker?"Warren Commission (9 of 26): Hearings Vol. IX (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy