- preparatory school.
- a preliminary or warm-up activity or event; trial run: The race is a good prep for the Kentucky Derby.
- preparation: dealer prep on the car included.
- the act of preparing a patient for a medical or surgical procedure.
- preparatory: a prep school.
- involving or used for preparation: the mortuary's prep room.
- to prepare (a person) for a test, debate, etc.
- to prepare (a patient) for a medical or surgical procedure, as by shaving and washing the skin with an antibacterial soap.
- to prepare (a vehicle or craft) for sale, use, a test drive, or a race.
- to prepare; get ready: to prep for the game.
- to attend a preparatory school.
Origin of prep
Related Words for prepprevious, preliminary, workout, recital, drill, tryout, reading, fit, provide, fix, gird, equip, brace, arrange, gear, prepare, supply, qualify, decorate, rig
Examples from the Web for prep
Contemporary Examples of prep
I was on my way to a wedding in New Orleans, so I had 24 hours to prep the 18 pages of text that they sent me.Carrie Coon on ‘The Leftovers,’ That Wild Finale, Her Apocalyptic Visions, and ‘Gone Girl’
September 9, 2014
Some have even started sharing their PrEP use on those apps.
Oshay Davis is on PrEP and plans to be on it for the foreseeable future.
Of the 2,319 people prescribed Truvada for PrEP in 2012 and 2013 nationwide, almost half were women.
We kept pushing and financing the prep ourselves because we had a very strong sense that it was the right time for that movie.The Director Isn’t Done Yet: An Interview With Steven Soderbergh
August 1, 2014
Historical Examples of prep
I know you; likewise the president of this chorus was in my prep.The Dominant Strain
Anna Chapin Ray
"He's at Prep now, but he'll enter Yale next year," she ended proudly.Miss Pat at School
I flunked in geometry at the prep school I attended last year.Marjorie Dean, College Sophomore
Alfred and Jack went every morning to the “Prep” school in Dorchester.The Seven Sleuths' Club
As it is, I know this sort of thing goes on the whole of prep.King of Ranleigh
F. S. (Frederick Sadlier) Brereton
- (tr) to prepare (a patient) for a medical operation or procedure
Word Origin and History for prep
slang shortening of prepare, 1908. Related: Prepped; prepping.
- To prepare for a medical examination or surgical procedure.