- the act of passing by or over; omission; disregard.
- Law. the passing over by a testator of an heir otherwise entitled to a portion.
- Calvinistic Theology. the passing over by God of those not elected to salvation or eternal life.
- Rhetoric. paralipsis.
Origin of preterition
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of passing over or omitting
- Roman law the failure of a testator to name one of his children in his will, thus invalidating it
- (in Calvinist theology) the doctrine that God passed over or left unpredestined those not elected to final salvation
C17: from Late Latin praeteritiō a passing over