- a particular action or course or manner of action.
- proceedings, a series of activities or events; happenings.
- the act of a person or thing that proceeds: Our proceeding down the mountain was hindered by mud slides.
- proceedings, a record of the doings or transactions of a fraternal, academic, etc., society.
- proceedings, Law.
- the instituting or carrying on of an action at law.
- a legal step or measure: to institute proceedings against a person.
Origin of proceeding
Synonyms for proceedingSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for proceedingsbusiness, dealings, doings, annals, archives, minutes, affairs, matters
Examples from the Web for proceedings
Contemporary Examples of proceedings
At night jineteras stalk the promenade in search of tourists while a trumpet from a bench serenades the proceedings.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind
December 19, 2014
Add to that the per diems paid for the 105 military commission personnel who attend the proceedings, which cost more than $16,000.Prosecutors Have No Idea When 9/11 Mastermind’s Trial Will Start
December 17, 2014
The proceedings expected this week in Guantanamo Bay had been canceled.9/11 Mastermind Is Afraid of the Ladies
December 16, 2014
In a bizarre twist to proceedings, Miss Manners sought to have her £30 cab fare from her Kensington flat to court refunded.How A British Aristocrat Used Big Game Hunter’s Sperm To Get Pregnant Without His Permission
December 2, 2014
Lemkin hung around the proceedings, disheveled and unkempt, but determined.The Man Who Invented the Word ‘Genocide’
November 19, 2014
Historical Examples of proceedings
Also you will bury a bottle containing report of your proceedings.Explorations in Australia
The daily proceedings of Congress at Washington are discussed in Japan.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
The barons gained some tidings of his proceedings, and were on their guard.Cameos from English History, from Rollo to Edward II
Charlotte Mary Yonge
He was astonished at the strength of the woman and scandalised by her proceedings.The Secret Agent
When we were left to ourselves, we held a council of war, about future proceedings.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
- an act or course of action
- the institution of a legal action
- any step taken in a legal action
- (plural) the minutes of the meetings of a club, society, etc
- (plural) legal action; litigation
- (plural) the events of an occasion, meeting, etc
"records of the doings of a society," by 1824; see proceeding.
1510s, "action of going forward," verbal noun from proceed (v.). From 1550s as "what is done, conduct." Proceedings "records of the doings of a society" is attested by 1824.