- the preventing of disease.
- the prevention of a specific disease, as by studying the biological behavior, transmission, etc., of its causative agent and applying a series of measures against it.
- prophylactic treatment, as the cleaning of the teeth by a dentist or dental hygienist.
Origin of prophylaxis
Examples from the Web for prophylaxis
Historical Examples of prophylaxis
The prophylaxis of yellow-fever is suggested by means of static electricity.Makers of Electricity
Only in this way is the prophylaxis of arteriosclerosis possible.Arteriosclerosis and Hypertension:
Louis Marshall Warfield
Undoubtedly the most important phase of it is in prophylaxis.
Prophylaxis of the habit is an ethical question that we can scarcely do justice to here.
In prophylaxis of the family the first indication is to stop the production of degenerates.Degeneracy
Eugene S. Talbot
- the prevention of disease or control of its possible spread
Word Origin and History for prophylaxis
- Prevention of or protective treatment for disease.