- the act of offering or suggesting something for acceptance, adoption, or performance.
- a plan or scheme proposed.
- an offer or suggestion of marriage.
Origin of proposal
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
1. recommendation. 2. suggestion, design. Proposal, overture, proposition refer to something in the nature of an offer. A proposal is a plan, a scheme, an offer to be accepted or rejected: to make proposals for peace. An overture is a friendly approach, an opening move (perhaps involving a proposal) tentatively looking toward the settlement of a controversy or else preparing the way for a proposal or the like: to make overtures to an enemy. Proposition, used in mathematics to refer to a formal statement of truth, and often including the proof or demonstration of the statement, has something of this same meaning when used nontechnically (particularly in business). A proposition is a proposal in which the terms are clearly stated and their advantageous nature emphasized: His proposition involved a large discount to the retailer.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsproposition, motion, overture, outline, offer, bid, idea, project, program, plan, recommendation, scheme, picture, terms, scenario, pitch, setup, feeler, design, pass
Examples from the Web for proposal
Meanwhile, a proposal to raise the minimum wage to a little more than $10 an hour languishes in Congress.Finally, Home Care Workers Start Fighting Back
October 19, 2014
However, Adriana referenced a proposal “to transform the current prison into a cultural center.”Cocaine, Politicians and Wives: Inside the World’s Most Bizarre Prison
October 12, 2014
He says there are discussions with U.S. officials about the proposal but there is deep suspicion.Why Does the Free Syrian Army Hate Us?
October 3, 2014
She says Hollande proposed marriage in September 2012, only to withdraw his proposal a month later.Hollande's Jilted Lover Valerie Trierweiler Tells All
September 3, 2014
But even that proposal would be cut nearly in half during negotiations with Iraqi leaders.Fact-Checking the Sunday Shows: August 24
August 24, 2014
She had feared he might rush his proposal through that night; he had been so much in earnest.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
As she had two protectors against a fifth proposal of marriage, she stood her ground.Viviette
William J. Locke
What she was thinking of he could not tell, but he made at once the proposal.Weighed and Wanting
The proposal was accepted, and Paches marched his forces into the town.Stories from Thucydides
H. L. Havell
"No, no; thank you," gasped the boy, aghast at the reckless audacity of the proposal.In the Midst of Alarms
- the act of proposing
- something proposed, as a plan
- an offer, esp of marriage
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for proposal
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper