- providing or serving for the time being only; existing only until permanently or properly replaced; temporary: a provisional government.
- accepted or adopted tentatively; conditional; probationary.
- (usually initial capital letter) of or being the wing of the Irish Republican Army that follows a policy of violence.
- Philately. a stamp that serves temporarily, pending the appearance of the regular issue, or during a temporary shortage of the regular stamps.
- a provisional member of a group.
- (usually initial capital letter) a member of the Provisional wing of the Irish Republican Army.
Origin of provisional
Related Words for provisionallytemporarily
Examples from the Web for provisionally
Historical Examples of provisionally
This route had therefore, provisionally at least, to be rejected.Freeland
"They are only provisionally transferred, you know," said the Governor.A Tangled Tale
He was one of the “provisionally exiled;” he had died in Rome.The Bondwoman
Marah Ellis Ryan
How the matter was provisionally treated is related in Malipiero, Ann.The Civilisation of the Renaissance in Italy
I ask only provisionally, as I have not yet had time to reflect on the subject.
- of, designating, or relating to the unofficial factions of the IRA and Sinn Féin that became increasingly dominant following a split in 1969. The Provisional movement remained committed to a policy of terrorism until its ceasefires of the mid-1990s
- Also called: Provo a member of the Provisional IRA or Sinn Féin
less commonly provisionary (prəˈvɪʒənərɪ)
- subject to later alteration; temporary or conditionala provisional decision
- a postage stamp surcharged during an emergency to alter the stamp's denomination or significance until a new or regular issue is printed