- providing or serving for the time being only; existing only until permanently or properly replaced; temporary: a provisional government.
- accepted or adopted tentatively; conditional; probationary.
- (usually initial capital letter) of or being the wing of the Irish Republican Army that follows a policy of violence.
- Philately. a stamp that serves temporarily, pending the appearance of the regular issue, or during a temporary shortage of the regular stamps.
- a provisional member of a group.
- (usually initial capital letter) a member of the Provisional wing of the Irish Republican Army.
Origin of provisional
Related Words for provisionaryconditional, interim, temporary, transitional, unsettled, dependent, ephemeral, experimental, limited, makeshift, passing, qualified, rough-and-ready, stopgap, test, transient, provisory, provisionary, acting, conjectural
Examples from the Web for provisionary
Historical Examples of provisionary
At three o'clock the imperial dynasty was proclaimed as at an end, and a provisionary government installed.Royal Palaces and Parks of France
Milburg Francisco Mansfield
Gentlemen, such are the series of experiments made by M. Gannal, since the first provisionary report was presented to you.History of Embalming
J. N. Gannal
The new system was defined as the "Provisionary Consulate;" but this form was only transitional.
She had already taken that provisionary leap into a mythical future which is one of the perfunctory attitudes of maidenhood.The Wayfarers
Mary Stewart Cutting
- of, designating, or relating to the unofficial factions of the IRA and Sinn Féin that became increasingly dominant following a split in 1969. The Provisional movement remained committed to a policy of terrorism until its ceasefires of the mid-1990s
- Also called: Provo a member of the Provisional IRA or Sinn Féin
less commonly provisionary (prəˈvɪʒənərɪ)
- subject to later alteration; temporary or conditionala provisional decision
- a postage stamp surcharged during an emergency to alter the stamp's denomination or significance until a new or regular issue is printed