- the act or process of finding a square equal in area to a given surface, especially a surface bounded by a curve.
- the act or process of finding an area or calculating an integral, especially by numerical methods.
- a definite integral.
- the situation of two heavenly bodies when their longitudes differ by 90°.
- either of the two points in the orbit of a body, as the moon, midway between the syzygies.
- (of the moon) those points or moments at which a half moon is visible.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE MANY TYPES OF NOUNS
Words nearby quadrature
Example sentences from the Web for quadrature
So that to find equivalent single words in translation, appears often as hopeless as the quadrature of the circle.The Indian in his Wigwam|Henry R. Schoolcraft
Among his mathematical investigations must not be omitted the quadrature of the parabola.History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Volume I (of 2)|John William Draper
In 1644 he published a tract on the properties of the cycloid in which he suggested a solution of the problem of its quadrature.A History of Science, Volume 2(of 5)|Henry Smith Williams
Yet, from time to time, treatises are published which boldly announce that they set forth the quadrature of the circle.The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. 6 (of 12)|Robert G. Ingersoll
Triangulation and quadrature of the beacons works for navigation—only it follows its own rules.The Repairman|Harry Harrison