- the act or process of finding a square equal in area to a given surface, especially a surface bounded by a curve.
- the act or process of finding an area or calculating an integral, especially by numerical methods.
- a definite integral.
- the situation of two heavenly bodies when their longitudes differ by 90°.
- either of the two points in the orbit of a body, as the moon, midway between the syzygies.
- (of the moon) those points or moments at which a half moon is visible.
Words nearby quadrature
How to use quadrature in a sentence
So that to find equivalent single words in translation, appears often as hopeless as the quadrature of the circle.The Indian in his Wigwam|Henry R. Schoolcraft
Among his mathematical investigations must not be omitted the quadrature of the parabola.History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Volume I (of 2)|John William Draper
In 1644 he published a tract on the properties of the cycloid in which he suggested a solution of the problem of its quadrature.A History of Science, Volume 2(of 5)|Henry Smith Williams
Yet, from time to time, treatises are published which boldly announce that they set forth the quadrature of the circle.The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. 6 (of 12)|Robert G. Ingersoll
Triangulation and quadrature of the beacons works for navigation—only it follows its own rules.The Repairman|Harry Harrison