- the act or process of finding a square equal in area to a given surface, especially a surface bounded by a curve.
- the act or process of finding an area or calculating an integral, especially by numerical methods.
- a definite integral.
- the situation of two heavenly bodies when their longitudes differ by 90°.
- either of the two points in the orbit of a body, as the moon, midway between the syzygies.
- (of the moon) those points or moments at which a half moon is visible.
Origin of quadrature
Examples from the Web for quadrature
Historical Examples of quadrature
Possibly the one who wrote on the quadrature of the circle in 1881.A Budget of Paradoxes, Volume II (of II)
Augustus de Morgan
In six dialogues: the sixth contains a quadrature of the circle.
His attempt to prove the impossibility of the quadrature appeared in 1645.
More curious than his quadrature is his name; what are we to make of it?
He carried the quadrature of the circle to 120 decimal places.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology