- the act or process of finding a square equal in area to a given surface, especially a surface bounded by a curve.
- the act or process of finding an area or calculating an integral, especially by numerical methods.
- a definite integral.
- the situation of two heavenly bodies when their longitudes differ by 90°.
- either of the two points in the orbit of a body, as the moon, midway between the syzygies.
- (of the moon) those points or moments at which a half moon is visible.
Examples from the Web for quadrature
And now I have made my own age a problem of quadrature, and Mr. J. Smith may solve it.
And, were it lost, the quadrature of the circle would not be more difficult than its restoration.The Truth About Tristrem Varick|Edgar Saltus
He is the author of a method of determining the quadrature of the circle.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology|Joel Munsell
Mr. Smith invites me to say which is wrong, the quadrature, or the tables: I leave him to guess.
Yet, from time to time, treatises are published which boldly announce that they set forth the quadrature of the circle.The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol. 6 (of 12)|Robert G. Ingersoll