- the division of an escutcheon into quarters.
- the marshaling of various coats of arms on an escutcheon.
- any of the coats of arms so marshaled.
IS YOUR VOCABULARY AS STRONG AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT? TRY THIS QUIZ TO SEE!
Words nearby quartering
Example sentences from the Web for quartering
A short list might be made of English poets who witnessed with their own eyes a hanging, drawing, and quartering.
The task of investigating the abuses in the quartering of the officers devolved on two citizens, called Schuch and Czarnecki.
Meanwhile the punishment of beheading and quartering had been executed on a wooden effigy in Copenhagen.Memoirs of Leonora Christina|Leonora Christina Ulfeldt
His arbitrary conduct in quartering his officers in Albany and New York.The Loyalists of America and Their Times, Vol. 2 of 2|Edgerton Ryerson
Meanwhile preparations were made for quartering and feeding the troops.A short history of Rhode Island|George Washington Greene
In the succeeding year he vigorously opposed the act laying a duty on tea, and that for quartering British troops in the colonies.History of the Colony and Ancient Dominion of Virginia|Charles Campbell
British Dictionary definitions for quartering
- the marshalling of several coats of arms on one shield, usually representing intermarriages
- any coat of arms marshalled in this way