- housing accommodations, as a place of residence; lodgings.
- Military. the buildings, houses, barracks, or rooms occupied by military personnel or their families.
- the after part of a ship's side, usually from about the aftermost mast to the stern.
- the general horizontal direction 45° from the stern of a ship on either side: Another boat is coming near on the port quarter.
- one of the stations to which crew members are called for battle, emergencies, or drills.
- the part of a yard between the slings and the yardarm.
- quarter point.
- any of the four equal areas into which an escutcheon may be divided by a vertical and a horizontal line passing through the center.
- any of the variously numbered areas into which an escutcheon may be divided for the marshaling of different arms.
- any of the arms marshaled on an escutcheon.
- a charge occupying one quarter of an escutcheon, especially that in dexter chief.Compare canton (def. 3).
verb (used with object)
- to divide (an escutcheon) into four or more parts.
- to place or bear quarterly (different coats of arms, etc.) on an escutcheon.
- to display (a coat of arms) with one's own on an escutcheon.
verb (used without object)
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
Origin of quarter
OTHER WORDS FROM quarterquar·ter·er, nounhalf-quarter, adjectivein·ter·quar·ter, nounoutquarters, noun
Words nearby quarter
Example sentences from the Web for quarter
Cut it into quarters, and put it in a Ziploc bag, so you can throw in your pack or even a jacket pocket.
In it, UNC’s Armando Bacot and Day’Ron Sharpe, who rank first and fourth on the team in scoring, can be seen in close quarters with other young people, none of whom have masks on.UNC-Miami postponed after two Tar Heels are shown celebrating Duke win without masks|Des Bieler|February 9, 2021|Washington Post
When Bezos said he was resigning as CEO, Amazon had just reported its first-ever quarter of more than $100 billion.With Bezos out as Amazon CEO, Zuckerberg is the last man standing|Elizabeth Dwoskin|February 3, 2021|Washington Post
Just as his company announces its first $100 billion quarter, he is handing the reins to cloud services head Andy Jassy.Bezos steps down, India vs. Rihanna, spinach emails|Hasit Shah|February 3, 2021|Quartz
The Amazon CEO, who just announced the company’s first $100 billion quarter, will hand the reins to cloud services head Andy Jassy.Bezos to step down, Uber pivots, fake Everest news|Jordan Lebeau|February 2, 2021|Quartz
Officials have said the war to reclaim upward of a third of Iraq and a quarter of Syria from ISIS could take years.Pentagon Doesn’t Know How Many People It’s Killed in the ISIS War|Nancy A. Youssef|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
By contrast, John McCain, the eventual GOP nominee, had raised approximately $12.7 million in the first quarter of 2007 alone.
So I went home—we only lived about a quarter mile away—and I got on my bicycle and rode back, and he was in the donut shop.
We are overwhelmed with data from every quarter, and our capacity to filter fact from fraud is limited.
And then I reach into my pocket and plug in another quarter.
At a quarter past seven he took his leave and we let drop our anchor where we were, off Cape Tekke.
Kum Kale has been a brilliant bit of work, though I fear we have lost nearly a quarter of our effectives.
Almost one-quarter of the total supply printed has been placed in circulation.Readings in Money and Banking|Chester Arthur Phillips
This Peal (by the Rules aforesaid) may be Rang with any whole hunt, half hunt, and quarter hunt.Tintinnalogia, or, the Art of Ringing|Richard Duckworth and Fabian Stedman
He could go and live over in the Latin Quarter—that 's the desire of his heart—and think of nothing but old bottles.Confidence|Henry James
British Dictionary definitions for quarter
- one fourth of the moon's period of revolution around the earth
- either of two phases of the moon, first quarter or last quarter when half of the lighted surface is visible from the earth
- to divide (a shield) into four separate bearings with a cross
- to place (one set of arms) in diagonally opposite quarters to another
Word Origin for quarter
Idioms and Phrases with quarter
see at close quarters; draw and quarter.