- the act of conceiving; the state of being conceived.
- fertilization; inception of pregnancy.
- a notion; idea; concept: She has some odd conceptions about life.
- something that is conceived: That machine is the conception of a genius.
- origination; beginning: The organization has been beset by problems from its conception.
- a design; plan.
- a sketch of something not actually existing: an artist's conception of ancient Athens.
- the act or power of forming notions, ideas, or concepts.
Origin of conception
Synonyms for conception
Examples from the Web for reconception
Historical Examples of reconception
In the next few pages I am dealing not with the reconstruction but with the reconception of a nation.The Ghost in the White House
Gerald Stanley Lee
The reconception of his problem, which took place in March, necessitated a readjustment of his political attitude.Lincoln
Nathaniel Wright Stephenson
An extraordinary art is necessary in what is not a work of mere transcription, but almost a work of reconception.Our Stage and Its Critics
"E.F.S." of "The Westminster Gazette"
- something conceived; notion, idea, design, or plan
- the description under which someone considers somethingher conception of freedom is wrong
- the fertilization of an ovum by a sperm in the Fallopian tube followed by implantation in the womb
- origin or beginningfrom its conception the plan was a failure
- the act or power of forming notions; invention
Word Origin for conception
Word Origin and History for reconception
early 14c., "act of conceiving," from Old French concepcion (Modern French conception) "conception, grasp, comprehension," from Latin conceptionem (nominative conceptio) "a comprehending, conception," noun of action from stem of concipere (see conceive). Originally in the womb sense (also with reference to Conception Day in the Church calendar); mental sense "process of forming concepts" is late 14c. Meaning "that which is conceived in the mind" is from 1520s; "general notion" is from 1785.
- The act of forming a general idea or notion.
- The formation of a viable zygote by the union of a spermatozoon and an ovum; fertilization.
- The formation of a zygote resulting from the union of a sperm and egg cell; fertilization.